Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Word on the Rood




“Give me the words I pray of you,” the poet said to the Word,

the Son of Man.

“Give me sounds that blow where the Spirit wills them”

“like Adam newly formed from the dust of the earth

who called each creature by name,”

“so that my sayang* may know that I love her

though things get in the way,

like taxes, teaching and exams,

because sometimes it seems like you’re walking nowhere through sleet and rain,

and up ahead there are no sign posts to tell you the way.

just to let her know

that in the end

our love will prevail

as we make our way along

the spiraling lines on the Father’s palm.

“Give me the words I beg of you,” the poet asked the Word Made Flesh.

Who turned to reveal His wounds,

still fresh from Calvary.

To which the poet replied, “that is enough.”


sayang- Indonesian for honey or dear.

No comments: