Saturday, March 22, 2008

Chesterton in Spanish 2



A Prayer in Darkness

G.K.Chesterton

This much, O heaven--if I should brood or rave,
Pity me not; but let the world be fed,
Yea, in my madness if I strike me dead,
Heed you the grass that grows upon my grave.
If I dare snarl between this sun and sod,
Whimper and clamour, give me grace to own,
In sun and rain and fruit in season shown,
The shining silence of the scorn of God.
Thank God the stars are set beyond my power,
If I must travail in a night of wrath,
Thank God my tears will never vex a moth,
Nor any curse of mine cut down a flower.
Men say the sun was darkened: yet I had
Thought it beat brightly, even on--Calvary:
And He that hung upon the Torturing Tree
Heard all the crickets singing, and was glad.


Spanish translation:


Una oración en las tinieblas

O cielo si me enturbiara o me enojara

No te apiades tanto de mí mas deja que el mundo se sustente

Y si en mis desvaríos acaso me matara

Sólo cuida la hierba que crece sobre mi túmulo

Si me atreviera a hacer mala cara entre este sol y avena, llanto y clamor

Dame la gracia bajo el sol y la lluvia y la fruta en estacíon

Para sufrir el brillante silencio del escarnio de Dios.

Gracias a Dios que los astros estén fuera de mi alcance

Gracias a Dios que mis lágrimas no ahoguen polilla alguna

Ni mis conjuros corten flores

Si tengo acaso que pasar noches de ira.

Dicen que en aquel instante el sol se oscureció

Mas pensé que brillaba intensamente

Aún en El Monte Calvario

Y él que colgaba del árbol tormentoso

se halló contento . . .

al escuchar el canto de los grillos.

3 comments:

E. G-Máiquez said...

Buena foto, tremendo poema, justa traducción.

Triple agradecimiento.

Anonymous said...

Chesterton has a ton of admirers in Latin America, at least in Argentina. My best friend down there is a huge fan of Chesterton and Tolkien, and they are considered huge lights in the Catholic intelligensia down there.

Anonymous said...

Chesterton has a ton of admirers in Latin America, at least in Argentina. My best friend down there is a huge fan of Chesterton and Tolkien, and they are considered huge lights in the Catholic intelligensia down there.