Thursday, November 30, 2006

Money post at Compostela: I could never be a watercolorist



Here is a money post at Compostela, the blog of a Classics professor from Castilla teaching at Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, in Northwest Spain. Here is my attempt at a translation into English:

I, watercolorist

I will never be a poet, a novelist, a painter or a photographer,
I couldn't be a watercolorist even though I'd like to be.
And I have things to paint: this morning I could have painted mount Pedroso, and in the background, the red color of the clouds. I would have tried to capture the tone of the light: What was it? Red? Ocre? Or something in between?
On the way to the Department of Philosophy and towards my own I kept on seeing frameable pictures: the oaks near Saint Claire, the garden of Bonaval from Saint Rocco, Mazarelos square, the high wall with symmetric windows on Val de Dios lane, and the row of liquidámbares (how happy I am to know that name!) behind Mayor Xelmírez College.
But I can only be a writer on a blog. How great it is to have found the limit of my incompetence! Maybe watercolors are only artistic stubs one places in petite bourgeois living rooms, until they are destroyed by the mercy of time.

Yo, acuarelista
No seré nunca poeta, ni novelista, ni pintor, ni siquiera fotógrafo.
No podré ser acuarelista, aunque también me gustaría.
Y temas tengo: esta mañana podría haber pintado el monte Pedroso y, al fondo, el color rojo de las nubes. Intentaría apresar el tono de la luz: ¿rojo? ¿ocre? ¿algo intermedio?
De camino a la Facultad de Filosofía, y de allí a la mía, veía continuamente encuadres: los olmos al lado de santa Clara, el jardín de Bonaval desde san Roque, la plaza de Mazarelos, la pared alta con ventanas simétricas en la rúa Val de Dios, la fila de liquidámbares (qué contento estoy de saber cómo se llaman) detras del Colegio Mayor Xelmírez.
Pero sólo puedo ser escritor en un blog. Y qué bien haber descubierto mi límite de incompetencia. Quizá las acuarelas fueran sólo muñones artísticos para colocar en la salita de una casa pequeñoburguesa, hasta que se deshicieran por la piedad del tiempo.

No comments: