Friday, February 23, 2007

Confessions of a poet for hire



“If you promise to keep it, I’ll tell you a secret:

There are poets of all kinds, Adelaide,

Bards with colorful verses and broken lines

Poets who yell and holler.

Heralds of the new poetry

Which is not Góngora’s by half.

It’s a poetry rich in form but poor in materials

And slave to public opinion in our plastic age.

Give me fame and applause

I’m not looking for Apollo’s laurels.

I won’t get involved in that.

I want cash, not truth.

Whores, not love.

Tit for tat,

A poem for a fortune

Oh, muses let me stew in my orgies

Because my measly verses are enough for me.

I am a word-whore for hire

I sell what the masses want.

An exchange for so many bucks

I don’t care what I’m missing

Because I’ll always come out winning.”

That’s what you say

as the Court of the Final Judgment piss their pants with laughter.

Confesión de un poeta puto

Si me lo guardas te diré un secreto:

poetas hay para todos, Adelaide,

vates de verso pintado y pie quebrado,

poetas que aúllan y gritan;

heraldos de la nueva poesía

que no es la de Góngora ni mucho menos

Es arte rico en forma mas pobre en materia,

esclava de la común opinión de esta edad de plástico.

Dame fama y aplausos

no busco el laurel de Parnaso.

De esta fuente no beberé.

Pasta quiero y no verdades.

putillas anhelo y no amor

-Tal para cual un poemita por un dineral -

¡Ay musas!, dejadme podrir en mis orgías

porque me bastan mis versos viles.

Palabrero puto soy y lo que traguen las masas

yo se lo vendo.

Un trueque por tantos duros

no me importa lo que pierdo

porque saldré siempre ganando>>

Eso dices tú, y el tribunal del Juicio Final se mea de la risa.

No comments: