Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Eight Reasons for disbelief in God.

(Adapted from The Book of Belief and Opinions by Saadia Gaon, a 9th century Jewish Philosopher)

1. It's too hard to think about such things as whether there's a God or not. The truth is burdensome and bitter. And people want to live unconditionally with no boundaries or limits.
(i.e. .)

2. General ignorance about the subject coupled with sloppy thinking. This is a willed ignorance in that I never really took the time to investigate the subject but I had the time and the resources to do so.

3. Instant gratification and worldly distractions. (i.e. Just give me my money and my whores.)

4. Laziness. An indifference toward philosophical and religious speculation. "What do I get out of it? what does it do for me?" (i.e. It's all about me and my desires.)

5. Arrogance and conceit. A person may be so arrogant as to not consider that there might be something they don't know or a source of wisdom they are ignorant about. (i.e I am expert in this one tiny little area of human knowledge and so I can lecture you on religion even though I don't really know that I don't know what I'm talking about. Being as I am so darn smart as an expert and all.)

6. Arguments or vain words from unbelievers. Does one not consider that just as cold and heat can kill or even harm you if you do not protect yourself so to do poisonous ideas?

Of course it could be I was waiting for the right excuse to come along and then just rolled with it to liberate myself from God. A case in point: The Genesis creation story as Babylonian elements in it? Oh, well know the whole God thing is off.
You mean the Ancient Hebrews who lived along side tons of other cultures like the Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, actually interacted with them? It couldn't be that these elements were substantially reworked and all. The sun and moon not being gods anymore? The cosmos no longer manufactured from a dead monster's carcass? There couldn't be something to that could there? Like an overarching monotheism. Hmmmm.

7. A weak or ridiculous argument put forward for belief in God that makes someone think this is the only possible approach to the subject. For example: It says it right here in the Bible that God exists so then it's so. (i.e. straw man arguments: I think everyone who believes in God is like the late Jerry Falwell or other caricatures of televangelists and fundamentalists)

8. Someone's hatred of certain monotheists via personal encounters or media manipulation (i.e. I have been trained to froth at the mouth at the very mention of the aforesaid late Jerry Falwell. Theocracy! Theocracy!) But this often leads someone to hate the God these people are proclaiming as well. Of course such eventful life positions should not be based on mere emotions but reason. So as much a "religious" person might have hurt me or called my wife a whore (a la Brother Jed) my hatred of God could end up being a far greater punishment for me than anything I could bring upon my enemies. You know I could end up in Gehenna- I mean Hell, because of said hatred.

No comments: