Monday, January 08, 2007

A satirical ode



I want to leave you at peace, Lady Pérez

I'm not going to hang outside your window anymore

For the frost bites me in Winter

and the icicles tear at my flesh.

And Spring finds me

in the unending rain

without an umbrella.

To top it all off, in the Summer

months the little kids urinate on

the oven-hot ground until it steams.


Well I bid you adieu my lady,

and leave you to a far braver soul

who would curry favor with your mustaches.



La quiero dejar tranquila, Doña Pérez,

No voy a rondarla más a la puerta.

De invierno la escarcha me pica,

Los carámbanos me rasgan.

De primavera las lluvias incesantes

Y yo sin paraguas

En verano las meadas de los niños

Y el horno del suelo

Pues se la dejo, señora,

A otro más valiente que quiera pretender a sus bigotes.

No comments: