Friday, January 12, 2007

The Shipwreck of Life- Poetic Dispatches from the Tenth Circle of Loserdom

Why did you leave me on these distant sands?

The wind's blowing and the waves cut at my feet . .

There's no mercy.

It would be better to through my self into these waters

and forget all the outrages.

But no.


What does the world's hatred mean to me?

It's nothing new, boys, personal interest always rules.

Because as it turns out, the world's a whore.



Oh where are you my Lady?

Why have you abandoned me?


Love . . . what a joke!

I'm tired of your whoring around.


Love, you've gone all commercial

flowers, cards, and song,

where if the lover doesn't pay

he's screwed.

So, take out your Visa or Master Card, dude,

Because as it turns out, the world's a whore.


I am a man.

Or at least I used to think so.

But it turns out that I'm not. I just found out.

I'm a freak, the phantom of this opera we call life.


A real man is his master, his own boss.

Not me.

I'm a loser who can no longer pretend.

But when all the world's a television show

People who tell the truth can't win.

Only tricks rule the day, boys.

Because as it turns out the world's a whore.



And me, if I were a real man and not the scarecrow of fortune

I could run my own house, and people would listen to me.

Even you would love me then.

If only, but no.

Because as it turns out, the world's a whore.



Erase my memory because I don't want to remember,

what's past is past.

But when the present is even worse

with its gigantic cars and Reality TV

take away my senses please!

Because at it turns out the world's a whore.


Why so much whining you ask?

You see I'm the lamest sad type around: a poet.


Oh all those nights I spent crying outside your window

covered with dew and pidgin shit

and you refused to upon up!


But I do no hold it against you.

You were just following the overall scheme.

Because as it turns out, the world's a whore.





El naúfrago de la vida


¿Porque me habeís dejado en estas playas lejanas?

Gime el viento y las olas me baten los pies . . .

No hay misercordia.

Mejor será tirarme a estas aguas

Y olvidar toda afrenta.

Pero no.


Es más, ¿qué me importa el desprecio del mundo?

No es nada nuevo, chavales. Allí reina siempre el propio interés.

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.


Pero, ¡ay!, ¿dónde estás, señora mía?

¿Por qué me has abandonado?


El amor . . . . ¡Qué lindo chiste!

Me canso ya de tus puterías.


Amor, te has vuelto comercial

Cosa de flores, cartas, y cantos

Donde si el enamorado no lo paga

burlado se queda.

O sea saca tu Visa o Master Card, tronco,

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.


Soy hombre. Al menos me lo creía.

Pero resulta que no. Ya me he enterado.

Soy mamarracho,

el fantasma de esta ópera que llamamos vida.


El hombre de verdad es macho y dueño de sí.

Yo no.

Soy un pesado grandísimo que no puede fingir.

Pero cuando todo el mundo es una tele-serie

No pueden los que dicen las verdades

Sólo valen las burlas, chavales

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.


Yo si fuera hombre y no pelele

Mandaría en casa,

Me escucharía la gente en vez de mofarme,

Y tú, amor, me querrías

Si sólo fuera . . . pero no

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.


Bórrame la memoria

Porque no quiero recordar

Lo pasado, pasado

Pero si el presente es peor aún

Con sus coches gigantescos

Y Reality T.V.

Quítame hasta los sentidos.

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.


¿Por qué tantas quejas? me preguntas

Verás, soy un infeliz de lo más cursi . . .

Un poeta


O, ¡las noches que pasé llorando bajo tu balcón,

Cubierto de rocío y caca de paloma,

Y no me quisiste abrir!


Pero no te guardo rencor.

Sólo seguías el común patrón.

Porque el mundo, ante todo, es puto.

2 comments:

Father Eric said...

Dude, are you okay?

Anonymous said...

Antonio
Did you write this?
from Gella.